Wednesday, April 21, 2010

bill russell pictures

bill russell
bill russell
bill russell
bill russell

"There were people along the way who tried to discourage me. But I lived a charmed life, because there were many people - black, white, Jewish, Christian - who pushed me forward, too. My high school basketball coach was one of those people. [Russell mentioned that Frank Robinson and Curt Flood attended his high school in Oakland at the same Russell was there.] He just looked at kids and saw baseball players or basketball players. And that's what I encountered in Boston with Walter Brown and my coach - and my friend - Red Auerbach."

"Now I came to Boston believing I was the best player in the land. But I didn't get along with my college coach [at University of San Francisco] for one single day - yet we managed to win 55 straight games and two straight NCAA championships. And my Olympic coach was from Tulsa, and we didn't get along at all, either - but we won the gold medal. So when I came to Boston, I expected not to get along with the coach. But the first time I met Red, he said, 'You're among friends.'

No comments:

Post a Comment