Monday, June 22, 2009

CRISTIANO RONALDO: HIS ONLY INTERVIEW


I had to go to biggest club in world, says £80m Portuguese ace


I had to go to biggest club in world, says £80m Portuguese ace

IT wasn't quite delivered with the infamous wink but it easily could have been.

Cristiano Ronaldo's parting shot at the hecklers who hounded his every prancing step in the Premier League.

Cristiano Ronaldo: Wayne Rooney can rule the world but I don't regret my wink


"My final message to your country? To all those who supported me, thank you. And to all those who hated me, thank you even more."



Those who supported him were dwindling day by day towards the end of his remarkable six-year stay in England.

But today, Ronaldo tries to explain why he has deserted the club and the manager who turned him into a global phenomenon.Not for the cash, he says. Not for a salary that could reach £500,000 a week. But for the dream.

The dream of wearing the white of Real Madrid - and the dream of becoming the game's GREATEST-EVER player.

He explained: "Of course, I have not gone for the money. It is a new challenge and a great honour to play for Madrid Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs in the world and they pay top wages, so it is nothing to do with money.

"The white shirt is a great honour and one I am looking forward to. It is, I think, every boy's dream to play for Real. I grew up watching them play with Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo and all the other greats and there is something about that white shirt that just attracts you. It was a great dream and, fortunately, one that is coming true."

And no-one will be surprised to learn that Ronaldo is facing up to his new challenge with a breathtaking degree of confidence.

JEER WE GO - Ronaldo feels the full fury of the Manchester City fans last season

He said: "When I won World Player of the Year, it was amazing. For a lot of people, that would be their peak. But I promise that is not my peak. I will get better than that.

"I believe I am going to improve because I am just 24. If I didn't want to improve at 24, that would be a loser's mentality.

"To go down as a Real Madrid great is very hard because they have had so many exceptional players. That has to be my aim, though. To go down as the greatest. It will take lots of work but that is my target.

"If you go down as the greatest at Madrid it means you are one of the greatest of all time."

United followers might argue that if you go down as the greatest at Old Trafford, you are one of the greatest of all time.

And his gushing praise for one of Sir Alex Ferguson's bitterest rivals is hardly likely soothe the ill-feeling sparked by his world record defection.

But Ronaldo believes he will always have a special bond with United supporters.

He said: "I really could not have asked for any more from them. There were times when the whole of England was against me but they stood strong in their support and belief for me.

"While opposition fans' hate made me stronger, the love of the United support also made me stronger.

"I just want to say thank you for all their support. I will never forget them and I hope I have given them memories that will always be with them."

Cheating

And if that doesn't appease those who wished him only good riddance, then a belated declaration of loyalty might. A declaration that even hints at the possibility of a return.

He said: "It would not feel right to play for anybody else in England apart from Manchester United. They have been my home for so long and it would feel like I was cheating if I played for anybody else."

Ronaldo picks out the clinching of his first Premier League winners' medal as the most memorable moment of his United career and the humbling defeat in Rome as his low point.

CHEER WE GO - Ronaldo (centre) celebrates after United's 2008 Champions League victory over Chelsea
CHEER WE GO - Ronaldo (centre) celebrates after United's 2008 Champions League victory over Chelsea

"The first title is always the special one and that was the key to open the gates to even more success," he explained. "But losing the European Cup to Barcelona hurt. I don't like to lose any game but to lose such an important game at that level really hurts."

Almost as much as the idea that Ronaldo will be remembered in this country as much for his tantrums as his talent.

He said: "I knew the same players would kick me every time I faced them. Skilful players don't always get enough protection from some referees but nobody wants to talk about that.

Money

"It is very hard going to clubs lower down the league where if they can't tackle you - they just kick you."

United will have to face that ordeal without Ronaldo this season. But he is adamant that his departure will not halt a march to the capture of a fourth consecutive Premier League crown.

He said: "I have no doubt about that. I believe they are a long way ahead of the other three big clubs. They will have a lot of money to spend and there are not many players in the world that would turn down the chance to play for Manchester United.

What do you think? Leave your comments below

"The boss will sign well because he always does and I expect Manchester United to carry on dominating England for a long time to come.

"Maybe Liverpool can build on last season but I think with a new world class manager and with the right buys, Chelsea can become a force in the Premier League again. But I still expect United to win the title next year."

Ronaldo, of course, will have more pressing matters to deal with. Such as living up to his £80million billing.

"When you play for a club like Manchester United or Real Madrid then there is always pressure but none of the pressure comes from my price tag," he claimed.

"That is a figure the businessmen at Madrid and United agreed on and that is nothing to do with football. My pressure comes from giving the fans what they have come to expect at Madrid and from playing for the most famous club in the world."

More famous, it seems, than Manchester United. That's Ronaldo. Just can't resist a parting shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment